The German Wife - Kelly Rimmer (Review)


 

The German Wife by Kelly Rimmer

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

The German Wife is the third Historical Fiction book by Kelly Rimmer that I read. At first, I was a bit confused with the multiple POV and time frames, and that made it feel somewhat slow, but after a few chapters I really picked up the pace and when I realized I had read a great chunk.
This is a story about two wives, actually. Sofie, a German wife, and Lizzie an American wife. They both know what it is to do everything for your family. However, Sofie is in the spot in this new place she does not know and it is all because of her past. How can she explain what happened back then, how can she explain her family’s ties with the war? And most importantly how can she forget everything that happened during the war?
I have to say I did not like Lizzie; I understood where she was coming from and I get why she acted the way she did, but knowing the other side of the story, it felt a bit cruel on her part. That is until the very final part where everything changes for these two wives.
I liked the way it is written and I liked how it portrays a story that it is not usually told. The other side, the story of many families that struggled in a country whose ideology they did not follow. It was very interesting and something different in Historical Fiction books, or at least the ones I’ve read.
Overall, it is a well-constructed story that will certainly give you something to think about.

DRC thanks to Edelweiss and publisher.

View all my reviews

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Back
to top